The First GSA Grand Slam BBQ Battle Music & Food Festival was a Home Run!
32 Dishes Judged, 4 Category Winners, 3 Rain Storms Overcome!
7 Bands, 40 Vendors, 5000+ Attendees, 2 Zombies &
The first ever GSA Grand Slam BBQ BattleMaster 2012 Champion
Grand Slam BBQ Battle Winners:
GSA Grand Slam BBQ BattleMaster 2012 Champion:
Brooklyn Bangers, Chef Jimmy Clark
Best Beef Entry: Jurassic Pork (Chipotle BBQ Sliced Brisket)
Best Pork Entry: OxCart Tavern (Pork Ribs)
Best Chicken Entry: Le Comptoir (Honey & Mustard Seed Chicken)
Best Vegetarian Entry: *Ox Cart Tavern (Korean BBQ Seitan Bao)
Best Side Entry: Brooklyn Bangers (Slaw)
***Please note, correction to this categories winner, it was announced that Brooklyn Bangers submitted this dish when in fact it was Ox Cart Tavern, So Congratulations OX Cart for also winning this category.
We look forward to seeing you all next year when GSA Grand Slam BBQ BattleMaster 2012 Champion:
Brooklyn Bangers, Chef Jimmy Clark will defend his title at GSA Grand Slam Music & Food Festival 2013
Keep an eye out for up coming GSA events
What is The Grand Slam 2012?
The Grand Slam 2012, was the inaugural community event produced by the Grand Street Alliance. A day filled with music performances by popular and emerging talent, a marketplace including visual artists, craft designers, local boutiques, amazing foods and the first GSA Grand Slam BBQ BattleMaster Challange featuring some of Brooklyn's best Grill Masters! Click Here for the latest news about the Grand Slam
The Grand Slam Attractions
BBQ Battle: A No Holds Barred, BBQ Competition where restaurants and individuals compete to win a $1000 cash prize presented by the Grand Street Alliance and the GSA Grand Slam BBQ BattleMaster 2012 title.
Musical Performances All Day Including: Trophy Scars, Jacobi Wichita, Bugs In the Dark, Ellis Ashbrook, The Living Kills and Cleveland Jones.
An Outdoor Bazaar Featuring Over 40 vendors showcasing their crafts, wares and food
- A Shopping promotion like no other in Williamsburg. Visitors are encouraged to shop at The Grand Slam and at participating local retailers through a Free Drink Ticket promotion.
Buy Stuff & Get A Free Drink Ticket
While attending The Grand Slam visitors can take advantage of a neighborhood wide shopping promotion designed by the GSA to extend the virtual footprint of the event and stimulate sales for neighborhood merchants. The GSA's new technology partner Domino Smart Guide www.dominobrooklyn.com will provide a free, interactive app for festival visitors to browse a growing list of participating Williamsburg retailers who will be offering a ticket for a PBR or Sailor Jerry drink with purchase, to be redeemed at participating neighborhood bars, exclusively listed in the Domino app.
Some of the retailers on the growing list of participating retailers are Bad Wolf & Co. Boutique at Eight of Swords Tattoo, Antoinette, Scosha, Sandford & Sven, Pop, Ida, Main Drag Music, Beautiful Dreamers, Fuego 718, Le Grand Strip, Whisk, Magic Cobra Tattoo, CupcakeLand, Milly & Earl , Skinny Skinny, A&G Merch and Janes Closet.
What is the GSA Grand Slam BBQ BattleMaster Challange?
The marquee event at the June 3rd, Grand Slam in Williamsburg, Brooklyn this no-holds barred, multi category BBQ Contest will set the stage for both restaurants and individuals compete to win a $1000 cash prize presented by the Grand Street Alliance and the GSA Grand Slam BBQ BattleMaster 2012 title.
There are TWO main categories for entries in the contest, the first is competing for the GSA Grand Slam BBQ BattleMaster 2012 title and the $1000 cash prize presented by the Grand Street Alliance and the second category is the "Best Of Challenge". Here is a Description and Rules for the competition.
To compete in this category the competitor is required to submit one of EACH of the following:
- Beef Entree, Pork Entree, Poultry Entree, Vegetarian Entree and Side.
- Each submission will be judged on a scale of 1-10.
- The judges will take many factors into consideration when voting on each dish including but not limited to; flavor, creativity, cooking method, innovation and presentation.
- Each dish submitted will receive a total score of between 4-40 (the min/max possible combined score between all four judges).
- Once all 5 entries from every contestant have been scored, the contestant with the highest total combined score from all 5 of their entries will be named the winner
Composition of entry for BattleMaster:
- The contestant must prepare and submit a one pound portion of each dish.
- Submission will occur in the following order Beef, Pork, Chicken, Vegetarian and Side.
- Submission of the "Side" entry can be submitted with any of the other 4 entrees in a separate container (for instance when you submit your Pork entree you may also submit your Side entree)
- The contestant submission order will be randomly be assigned at the beginning of the event
BEST OF CATEGORY
This category is open to all contestants who wish to submit entries of any of the BattleMaster entree categories however they will be judged on an individual basis and not as part of the BattleMaster Submission. Individual submissions will however be judged along with the BattleMaster contestants submission for each entree category.
Submissions for the Best Of category will be submitted at the end of each entree round of the BattleMaster competition.
- The contestant must prepare and submit a one pound portion of their submission.
- Submission will occur in the following order Beef, Pork, Chicken, Vegetarian and Side